Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Week 13 Story, The Giving Turkey

Once upon a time, there lived two turkey kings. One king turkey named Thanks ruled over many other turkeys within his region of the community. The other turkey king named Giving ruled over the other portion of the community. The kingdom was split between these two kings. However, both kings and their turkeys lived in peace.

Unfortunately, it came to that time of year when humans would come and hunt their people. The humans usually hunted in a pack of three. There were a father and two sons. The father was the leader of the group. However, he was becoming old and could not hunt for long. Therefore, the two sons decided to build a fence around the turkey community. Once the fence was built, their father could simply walk into the bound region and hunt the turkeys at ease. This went on for a couple of weeks. Many turkeys were lost. Therefore, Giving called for a meeting with Thanks.

"Hello, Thanks! It is great to see you even though we meet under unfortunate circumstances."

"Yes, Giving! It is great to see you! What is this meeting about?"

"As you can see, it has come to that time of year when the humans hunt us. However, this year, they have built a fence around our community. This has exponentially increased the numbers of our loss. I believe we should have our turkeys take a turn, sacrificing themselves. This will make the loss equal between our communities. What do you reckon?"

"Yes, Giving. I believe this is a good idea. Let us inform our turkeys."

Therefore, the kings informed their turkeys. This went on for a long time. The turkeys would go and lie down by the fence entrance. Therefore, when the humans decided to go hunt, they could just grab a turkey and be on their way. However, one day, a mother turkey had to sacrifice herself. She had a young turkey baby and she was a single mother. Therefore, she went to her king Thanks and pleaded for her life.

"Please King Thanks, allow this turn to be placed on another turkey. I want my son to know who I am. Please, let me raise him. Once he is old enough, I will gladly give my life."

"I am sorry miss, the turn has fallen upon you. You must give your life."

The mother turkey felt helpless. She was at a lost. She decided to go talk to King Giving."

"Please King Giving, allow this turn to be placed on another turkey. I want my son to know who I am. Please, let me raise him. Once he is old enough, I will gladly give my life."

The king felt sorry for the mother turkey. Therefore, he decided to give his life in place of the mother He went to the fence entrance and waited to be taken. When the hunters came for their prey, they saw that the king turkey was waiting to be taken.

The human said, "King Giving, why are you giving your life?"

"I am giving my life for a mother who wants to raise her son."

The humans did not want to kill a king turkey. They were also touched by the love the king turkey had for his people. Therefore, they decided not to take the king nor the mother turkey. The humans could settle for ham.

The pigs next door overheard the decision of the humans and prepared for war.

Turkey: Pixabay

Author's Note: 
For this story, I used the premise of the original story called The Banyan Deer by Ellen C. Babbitt. In this story, there are two deer kings that rule over their people. There is also a human king that enjoys hunting deer. Therefore, the human king's people build a fence around the deer to make hunting for the king easier. They hunted the deer for some time. The two deer kings deer decided to have their people take turns sacrificing their life. However, there came point when a mother deer needed to give her life. She went to her king and begged for her life, but the king told her she needed to give her life. Therefore, she went to the other king and told him her story. The other deer king decided to give his life in her place. Once the humans saw that the deer king was sacrificing himself, they decided not to kill the deer king nor the mother deer. They were touched by the king's love for his deer. In my story, I changed the characters to turkeys and I gave them names Thanks and Giving. I also changed the humans to a small family who hunts the turkeys. Otherwise, the premise of the story is the same.
       

3 comments:

  1. Corbin, your story was pretty cute! I liked that it was about turkeys, especially since Thanksgiving is next week. The story had a good plot, and it moved to each part well. One thing I would recommend is to try your hand at imagery. It just livens up a story, and with turkeys, you can really pull all sorts of sounds out of your bag of tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corbin! I definitely love your story you have published for week 13. What grabbed my attention the most was the image you have uploaded for your story! It seemed reasonable for both the story and the holiday. Overall, I am glad you created a script for your story because it shows more about who you are as a person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Corbin!
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I liked how you changed up the story from the original. It was perfect that the story was about turkeys, considering it fit in with the holiday season. Oh and love the image you picked out! Overall, I thought your story was great and well written! Also, I hope your semester went well and good luck!

    ReplyDelete