Monday, November 5, 2018

Reading Notes: The Ox Who Envied The Pig, Part A


For my reading this week, I will be focusing on the Jataka Tales. These are short and very fun to read! The story that I will be focusing on today is called The Ox Who Envied The Pig by Ellen C. Babbitt. The story begins by describing a farm on which two oxen, a pig, a farmer, his wife, and daughter live.

The two oxen are brothers named Big Red and Little Red. They work very hard on the farm and are only fed grass and straws. During this time, the farmer's daughter was about to be married. Therefore, the farmer's wife wanted to fatten up the pig to be eaten at the party. Little Red, being somewhat naive, told his brother “Why does that pig get such great food, when we are working hard on the farm and only get to eat grass?”

His older brother told him, “Do not envy the food of the pig because he is eating the food of death. The farmer is fattening up the pig to be slaughtered at his daughter's party.” Little Red was understanding but was still somewhat upset. However, soon enough, the pig was slaughtered and eaten at the farmer's daughter’s wedding. Little Red then understood not to envy the pig. “The pig was eating the food of death. I will be happy with my food.” I believe this was a great story. The story demonstrates a life lesson, that we should not envy or be jealous of others. 

I will like to write a story with the same premise as this one. However, I will be changing the characters to different animals. I will also be chasing the names of the characters. I may change the outcome for the little brother. He may steal the food of the pig and end up being eaten at the wedding as well. However, these ideas are still being worked on and thought through.

Big and Little Red: Pixabay





No comments:

Post a Comment