Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Story Lab: What is Myth?

For today, I will be doing a story lab. I watched the "What is Myth Video series." I will be focusing on the video What is Myth? Crash Course World Mythology #1 by Mike Rugnetta. Though these videos may be for the mythology course, I found the information provided, to be useful. Mr. Rugnetta explains the origin of the word "myth," which comes from the Greeks meaning story. There are many misconceptions that come from the word myth. People typically believe that the word myth means fake, or untrue. However, this is not always the case. A myth is a story, but it is a special kind of story. Mr. Rugnetta breaks down myths into two main points, significance, and staying power. Myths can be a way of explaining how the world originated, or how certain aspects of the world can be understood. Thus, myths have explaining power. Myths also have staying power. This means that they have been around for many centuries or even millennia. Ultimately, it is not our place to decided whether a myth is true or false.     

Myths: Sketchport

1 comment:

  1. Hi Corbin! As I was searching for more blog post from other the other students in our class, I stumbled upon yours! It was awesome that you wanted to explore more about the Myths in your story lab. I did watch the Myth videos and it has broaden my perceptions. And your right, it is never our place to determine if myths are true or false! Keep up the great work, Corbin!

    ReplyDelete